Can I be hypnotized?
Everyone can be hypnotized if they want to be. You, and not the hypnotist, are always in control. You just have to be willing.
1. Is hypnotist a person gifted with special, mystical or unusual powers ?
A hypnotist is a human being without unusual or mystical powers. A well-trained hypnotist understands that the person hypnotizes himself. He uses the effective delivery of suggestions to facilitate an altered state of mind and teaches his client to bring about or self-induce the hypnotic state.
2. Is it true that a person may not be easily awakened and may remain in the hypnotic state for a long time or get “stuck” in this state.
No one has remained indefinitely in a hypnotic state. The state can be terminated at will. It is as simple as opening the eyes. You cannot get stuck in hypnosis and not “wake up.”
3. Can hypnosis bring on a cure in just one or two sessions? Is it a panacea?
In many instances one or two sessions of hypnosis may enable a person to break a habit. However, in the majority of cases it requires a number of sessions before a favorable result is obtained – it is not a panacea (it cannot cure all human problems; and it cannot do it instantly.)
4. Is it true - only the gullible or weak-minded can be hypnotized?
You cannot hypnotize a feeble-minded person. It takes imagination and a willingness to cooperate-a willingness to accept suggestions. The more intelligent and imaginative the person, the easier it is to hypnotize him. People who are gullible are easily deceived or duped. The truth is the more creative and intelligent a person is, the easier it is to induce hypnosis. The more analytical and controlling a person is, the harder it is to induce hypnosis.
The best subject is a person who has a definite reason or motivation for wanting to be hypnotized.
5. When in hypnosis, does it mean you are out of control?
You cannot be hypnotized against your will. You have to “want” to be hypnotized in order for it to happen. Once in hypnosis, you are always in control.
6. Is it true - a person could be made to do anything or say anything, and is under the hypnotist’s control? They could be made to commit a crime , or go against their moral principles?
In hypnosis a person will not go against his or her moral principles. He/she will not commit an anti-social act. The person has the power to select only the suggestions he/she is willing to accept. The person will reject any improper suggestions, and will never commit a crime or an illegal act. You cannot be given a suggestion or posthypnotic suggestion to go against your moral principles.
7. Is hypnosis a sleeping, unconscious state, and when hypnotized a person is not aware of his surroundings?
In hypnosis, awareness is increased. If the person falls asleep, he/she is not in hypnosis. In hypnosis you are aware of everything that is going on around you. Hypnosis might resemble sleep, yet it is not sleep, and is in fact a state of expanded awareness. You are fully aware of what is being said to you when in hypnosis, and can reject any suggestion that is given to you at anytime. The senses are generally enhanced (hyper-acuity) when a person is in the hypnotic state. He /she hears any sounds in the general area , and is quite aware of what is going on. Often the person is more aware, and not less aware.
8. Does a person need to be deeply hypnotized to be helped ?
You do not need to be in a deep state of hypnosis to benefit from it. Beneficial results can come from taking suggestions while in a light trance.
9. Is hypnosis unnatural and artificial ?
Hypnosis is a natural, yet altered state of mind.
10. Is hypnosis merely a relaxation , and nothing more?
You can be relaxed and yet not be hypnotized – and you can be hypnotized and not be relaxed. Relaxation is only one aspect of trance.
11. Is hypnosis a truth serum? Could a person be made to say anything, reveal secrets, or say embarrassing things?
You can lie in hypnosis. You can edit and withhold information in hypnosis. You do not have to reveal secrets. When hypnotized, you will not do anything against your will. You can reject any suggestion that is given to you. A client will never divulge or do anything that he or she would not say or do in a regular waking state.
12. Is hypnosis anti-religious ?
There are no religious connotations associated with hypnosis.